Pray always. Do not lose heart. This is the encouragement of the Christ of the gospel today. Persistence in our every encounter with the divine will be blessed. Wrestle with the word. Remember your baptism again and again. Come regularly to Christ’s table. Persistence in our every encounter with the divine will be blessed.
Readings and Psalm
Genesis 32:22-31 Jacob’s struggle with the angel: I’ll not let go until you bless me
The Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Sint Maarten, St Kitts-Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago
20 - 26 October 2019
We are thankful for:
• the natural beauty, climate, and distinctive cultural practices of these islands
• how churches have responded to disasters and served all in need
• how liberation from colonialism and oppression has been pursued through music, words and actions
• the leaders of the ecumenical movement who have come from this region.
We pray for:
• those devastated by disasters, that their lives, communities and eco-systems might be rebuilt
• the strengthening of all who faithfully witness through word and deed to the gospel
• all those affected by crime and addictions
• good governance and smooth transitions between political leaders.
Dear Bethlehem Lutheran Congregation,
Thank you for once again providing school supplies and cereal boxes for our needy students. Thank you also for the $50 check to be used to purchase additional supplies. You are such a blessing to our school.
Thank you for your donation of $55.00 on 7-13-19. We are grateful to you for your support. May God continue to bless you and richly as you have blessed the people of Our Saviour's Lutheran Church. Please know that we will keep you in our prayers.
The Congregation of Our Saviour's L.C. - Rocky Boy
- Discussed a recent letter from the Northern Rockies Institute of Theology (NRIT) asking what we (Bethlehem) would like to learn. While we didn’t have any ready answers to this question, we did agree that we would like to host another NRIT workshop. What would you like to learn more about?
- The insurance adjustor’s report on potential hail damage is in. Between the church building, the parsonage roof, one of the sheds and the garage roof, they estimate about $30,000 of damage. Our deductible of $1,000 would cover all the damage. Council passed a motion to authorize the expenditure of $1,000 to pay the deductible.
- Our building has unused space, particularly downstairs. The council has been seeking opportunities to put it to good use. It seems the best option is to rent it out for day-time use. Perhaps a child-care provider would like to expand their business and could use our space. Do you know of anyone?
The free-will offering collected during the between-services social hour will go towards the insurance deductible. Every dollar you give will effectively be matched by $29 from our insurance to repair hail damage on the church building, the parsonage, the garage and one of the sheds.
Lutheran Bible Camp, Inc (Christikon) Annual Meeting is scheduled for Sunday, November 3rd @3:30pm at Big Timber Lutheran Church.Registration and refreshments begin at 3:00pm. As a member congregation we can send three lay delegates and our pastor. This four will have voice and vote. Additional interested people may attend and will have voice.
Saturday, October 19th
9:30 am - 1:00 pm
Kathy Lillis Chapel
Our special offerings for October help homeless teens through the Tumbleweed program. In November, our special offerings are matched by Town Pump and support the Food Bank. The HUB is up for December. Special offerings given on the first Sunday of the month go to Youth Group and the General Fund (25/%/75% split).
Typically, we have two people stay overnight with the families when it is our turn. The families feel safer when one volunteer is male and one is female. Also, volunteers are protected from the potential for false accusation when two are present. We have one man signed up for Sunday night. We need another volunteer for Sunday night and two volunteers for Monday night. It’s super easy and it’s rewarding. You can make a difference in the effort to end homelessness.
October 26, 2019 from 4:00 to 6:00 pm, we will be hosting a Trunk or Treat in the church parking lot. Decorate your trunk and join us (in costume) to hand out candy to our neighborhood children. Donations of candy are also needed along with participants in the trunk or treat. Come join us in celebrating Halloween and making this a memorable time for the kids once again. Contact me – Jessie Hanna – with any questions! (598-7322)
Highlights of Bethlehem's WELCA meeting on September 19th
- Thank Offering will be November 10th
- Dimes from Pools of Living Waters goes to suicide prevention and disaster relief
- The same board member have been re-elected
- Next meeting: November 21st @ 7p
Pr. Jean Hay - 696-9586
Margie Shea - Council President - 248-8168
Casey Anguiano - Council Vice President - 534-2198
Johnna Voto - Secretary - 670-1370
Darlene Fernelius - Treasurer - 652-2356
Jerry Bauck - Council Member - 248-7946
Gayle Breding - Council Member - 694-4242
Dave Brockman - Council Member - 927-5729
Dennis McCave - Council Member - 702-4983
Jessie Hanna - Alternate - 598-7322